Courtesy and Respect are key elements in Karate training and conduct. How we act is how others perceive us. Here are some general rules of conduct:
- Bow upon entering and leaving the Dojo. This should be accompanied by an effort to change to a more serious and focused attitude. (The dojo is any place we practice, even if it were an open field.)
- Treat the
Dojo with respect. Help other students, clean the floor or help tidy up
- Do not bring food, drinks, or items that might spill, into the dojo. If you notice a mess, clean it up even if you did not make it.
- The main instructor (Black belt) is always addressed as "Sensei". The other helping teachers are addressed as "Sempai".
- Adhere to the training schedule and try not to be late. However, if the delay is due to circumstances beyond your control, do not join the class until you have been asked to by your sensei, and make the Sensei aware of the reason at the end of the class.
- If you are late and the class has begun, stop at the door, kneel in the Seiza position, and await acknowledgement from the Sensei or Sempai before joining the class.
- Similarly, if you have to leave the class early, advise the Sensei before the class starts. Then, at a logical break in the training, move to the door, standing with feet together, and await Sensei's acknowledgment before leaving.
- A similar procedure is used if one unexpectedly needs to leave the class (for illness, toilet, etc.)
- When the Sensei enters the dojo, the students should recognize her/him with "Oss" and/or a Rei (bow). This is a sign of respect that your Sensei deserves.
- Give respect to all karate participants, whatever the grade or age. Bow to Dan grades in order of seniority.
- Always keep your training Gi clean and tidy.
- Never wear outside shoes in the dojo, always remove them before you come into the Dojo.
- Do not chew gum during class.
- Keep your finger and toe nails short to prevent injury to other participants. Hands should be clean.
- Do not wear jewellery in the dojo. If rings cannot be removed, they must be taped to prevent injury to others.
- Tie your hair back in class
- Keep your belt tied in class
- Only wear your club T shirt under your Gi.
- Only karate trousers should be worn with no other item underneath.
- It is customary for all visitors to allow the student to complete their class with out interruption and they should leave the hall as soon as the class is about to start.
- Remember that training is not only in the dojo. No unnecessary violence inside or outside the dojo.
- When class begins, line up quickly, with lower ranks to the left. Form a straight line with the person on your right. Face front.
- There should be no idle talking during class. It is disrespectful, and distracting to the Sensei and other participants.
- When you are listening to Sensei making an explanation during training, stand quietly and attentively, with the hands at the side or behind. Never lean against the wall, or place hands on the hips. This shows disrespect. Acknowledge the Sensei's instructions with, Oss Sensei.
- Make your maximum effort during class.
- When the Sempai/Sensei calls for "Mokuso" (meditation), close your eyes, breathe deeply from the lower abdomen, and try to achieve concentration, do not talk.
- You must have a Karate Licence and Insurance to train in karate please see your Sensei for full details.
Parents code of practice
encourage all parents to teach their child that honest effort is as
important as success. Turn disappointment into success by helping your
child to work towards skill improvement and to show sportsmanship /
respect to all.
We encourage parents to:
1. Be encouraging and supportive in regard to their child's karate lessons, especially in the dojo area;
2. Respect officials and accept their decisions without question;
3. Support the sensei/instructor, and assistant instructors/helpers;
4. Become familiar with the way of karate-do; including never entering the dojo (training area) without the permission of the sensei/instructor;
5. Comply with the rules, policies, and procedures of the club, including those pertaining to commitment to regular training and financial commitment;
6. Discuss their child's status within the club at a time mutually agreed upon with the main Sensei .
Complete club rules are given in class:
But please don't forget to refresh yourself with the rules that were given to you when you joined and please remember class fees are non refundable. (The fee is an absolute regardless of whether you train. Essentially, your fee is securing your place in the Dojo as we are often asking students to join a waiting list). If you do not attend any lessons and if you decided to take a holiday outside of Black Panther & School of Japanese Karate's time table your fees are still due. (see Holiday dates) Please note we do not run strictly by school holidays due to club Grading lesson requirements. If you are ill for 2 weeks or more as long as you bring in a note from your doctor we will move on your 2 weeks of lesson fees prepaid. There are many different ways to pay, please ask!
Pay as you go members do not have a base class unless requested and must inform us of absences, after two weeks we will try to contact you at least twice by email and if we do not get a response and if you have not trained for 4 weeks without informing us of your absence we have the right to terminate your membership and give your place to someone else.
We require 4 weeks notice if you decide to leave the club. This is so we can open up your space to others wanting to join the club.
We accept Bank Transfer and most major credit/debit card payments for all transactions in class, but Payment on the website are taken by cards Visa / Mastercard/Paypal in our online shop for trials only. We do not accept cheques! (Trials can only be paid for by bank transfer details will be sent to you, or via our online shop using payment cards or Paypal. If you have to pay in class we do accept most major debit/credit cards).
note that all deposits and any fees paid are none refundable if you
change your mind (Including special long term discounted lesson fees) and you have 7 days to claim a partial refund minus Admin fees.
you have just joined as a new member and you decide to leave the club or you move more than 15 miles away from any Black Panther Karate classes, you will have 7
days to let us know in writing to receive a partial
refund of your Joining package by cheque within 30 days but administration charges will be deducted.
Grading's are judged on the pupils abilities on the day of the grading and the decision of whether the pupil passes or not is down to the Chief Instructor/Judge. The decision is final and will not be altered. In order to grade the pupil must attend 20 lessons within the period between gradings we usually have a 24-26 lessons open between gradings so this should give ample time to achieve the 20 lessons needed. If you are a beginner then you only require 12 lessons to grade to the first coloured belt.
Note: We will be trying out 3 gradings a year from March 2020.
Pupils can attend extra lessons to achieve their 20 lessons between gradings or they can wait for the next one if 20 lessons are not achieved. We do unlimited lessons where you can train at any of our venues with the exceptions of the Wednesday advanced class and if under 6 years the Enfield venues.
We do not tolerate bullies in the club and anyone found to be bullying will be given a warning if the bullying continues we have the right to terminate their membership.